Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Living like a local

We seem to be having some infrastructure issues at the hotel the last couple of days. For starters, the elevator has been out of service for the last two days. I am on the third floor, so while this is not a tremendous ordeal, it has grown a bit tiresome, but I am getting some exercise at least to work of the fried food I have been eating. The power went on and off several times here as well last night (4 that woke me). I can't blame that on the hotel specifically though as we had a few interruptions at the office as well today. They generally last for about 10 seconds and then comes back on. The server room, obviously, is on UPS and so it is not an issue. When it first happened I looked out the window of my office and no one was fazed by it. Just something you accept in this part of the world.

Had a very productive morning in the office going over the prototype with UI developer, and then we did a detailed design review in the afternoon. This has been a very collaborative process, where they have identified gaps in my database design, and I have identified gaps in their understanding of certain functionality and we both move forward to make adjustments. This has been a very productive trip so far and I think it will continue to be so.

At lunch today, Rajiv and Sudesh took me to a local restaurant. Rajiv (pictured) showed me how to eat in the traditional Indian manner, which is often with the hands. I had Dahl (not sure on the spelling, but phonetically, that is what it sounds like) which is like chili and burrito sauce with some barbecue sauce sprinkled in. It was actually very good and mixed well with the fried rice it was served with. You mix the Dahl with the rice in a bowl with your hands and then scoop some on to your fingers. From there, you use the thumb to push it into your mouth. It takes some getting used to, but I got the hang of it. Note to my children - don't try this at home! To drink, I had a lemon soda, a very popular drink that is made to order. It is basically fresh lemon and lime juices, mixed with soda water and some sugar and served in a soda glass. It tasted like lemonade soda, and was a bit tart but generally pretty good.

So, after having a traditional lunch eating in manner of locals, and having had to deal with the power fluctuations, and broken elevator, I was ready for some of the familiar. Dinner at the hotel was fish and chips, with a jack and coke and Baskin Robbins for dessert (the B&R is right next store to the hotel). Trudging up the three flights of stairs to my room, I looked forward to my espresso fudge sundae. Unfortunately, I am not sure what they put in it (it seemed like cut up Milk Duds) but it was something less than expected. It would certainly be ironic to get sick from eating Baskin Robbins instead of the local desserts at the restaurant, thinking that B&R was less risky. I think I hear Alanis Morrisette in the background.

We finalized our plans to go to Mysore this weekend. Looking forward to seeing that and going to the bird sanctuary to see and take pictures. The week is now half over since tomorrow is hump day...


So long from Bangalore!

No comments:

Post a Comment